Fun Facts About New York City
- The term “THE BIG APPLE” referred to horse racing and winning the big prize, the big apple, initially.
- Birdwatchers have seen 275 species of birds in Central Park.
- The taxis in New York City were originally red and green.
- New Yorker’s speak approximately 800 languages.
- In 1905, the first American pizza joint opened in New York City. Today there are over 1600 pizza restaurants.
- NYC’s population density is the highest of any American city, 27,000 people per mile.
- It would take approximately 24 hours to ride the entire subway system – with 34 lines and 469 routes
- Staten Island once tried to secede.
- The Statue of Liberty was delivered in 1885 in 350 pieces.
- Until the 1920s, everyone moved apartments on the same day, May 1st. Can you imagine the traffic jam.
- The price of a slice of pizza and the cost of a subway ride are almost always the same.
- The authors of the Book Magic Garden and creators of the website are from Minneapolis, often called the Mini-Apple.
JoyMaster Lisa’s son lives in Brooklyn, so New York is one of our favorite places to visit. Yankees or Twins you might ask? Forget about it, The Twins.