The Magic of Trees aka Cool Stuff About Trees
Here are some fun facts regarding the Magic of Trees:
- March 21st is International Forest Day
- More than 300 million people live in the forest.
- Forests cover 4 billion hectares or 1/3rd of the Earth’s surface.
- The largest area of forest in the tropics remain the Amazon Basin, amounting to 81.5 million acres.
- It is believed that there are 3 trillion trees on earth today.
- 4 billion people worldwide, or one in three, use woodfuel to cook meals.
- 70% of the world’s animals depends on forests for their homes.
- More than 25% of all modern medicines come from tropical forest plants.
- In Japan, doctors would prescribe “Forest therapy” to treat depression and anxiety.
- 20% of the Earth’s oxygen is produced by Amazon Forest.
- About 80% of the Earth’s original forests have been cleared or destroyed.
- Check out our Forest Magic Garden and these cool Forests in the US.
And man, they give us pie – apple – my dad’s favorite pie.
10 Things you May not Know About Trees
- Trees were used to make aspirin and some chemo-therapy drugs.
- Trees help prevent floods, but drinking water with their roots, but capturing water with their leaves, and releasing it later through evaporation.
- The oldest known living tree is a Great Basin Pine in the White Mountains of California named Methuselah estimated age is more then 5,060 years old.
- Although bananas come from “banana trees”, the trees have no wood
- In 1971, the Apollo 14 mission included taking seeds to the moon, where “moon trees” were grown.
- Dendrochronology is the scientific method of dating trees by measuring growth rings in their trunks.
- How much oxygen does a family of four need to breathe? Oxygen from two trees.
- Trees get very thirsty: they drink around 2000 liters of water each year.
- Trees can act as a compass, as moss grows on the north side of their trunk in cooler climates.
- In West Africa, the Oubangui people plant a tree whenever a child is born to signify the growth and life events of the person for whom it was planted.
- In one year, a person emits about 10 tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, while one tree removes one ton of the stuff in its long lifetime.
- Trees have DNA, in fact your Christmas tree has seven times more genetic material (DNA) than you do.
- Want to have some of this Magic in your own garden – he is who we find bark and roots for our Magic Gardens.
Thank you trees for all you do. Leave a comment below about what you love about trees and we can add it to the post. Thanks for being a part of the Magic Gardens Community and the magic of trees. xo